The New Year Calls for a Clean Slate

By  |  16 Comments

The start of a new year allows a chance to start over with a clean slate, get organized, set goals and try new things. This is the perfect time to reflect on what is and isn’t working in your life whether it’s in regard to your health, career or relationships. Take the time to identify the good and how to keep it going. It’s important to also recognize the bad and use it as a learning experience, so you can grow from any past mistakes. Here are a few tips to get you prepared for the year ahead:

Reflect, but don’t dwell

When you begin to revisit last year, take time to self-reflect, but don’t dwell. The past year may have been the best year of your life or you may have found yourself struggling from time to time. But, that was last year. Dwelling will leave you stuck on past mistakes that you can’t go back and change. It’s holding you back from moving on and giving the new year your all. Reflecting on the other hand, will help you grow and learn from the experiences to make this year successful.

Get organized

There’s no better time to get organized than now! Do a deep clean in your work space, your relationships and at home. Clean out your emails and throw away old papers on your desk. Remove toxic relationships from your life and surround yourself with people who reflect you positively and align with your values. Utilize storage containers around the house to put away old clothes or decorations from the holidays. Being organized early on in the year will help reduce stress, provide time for greater productivity and overall prepare you for any curveball thrown your way.

Set goals

Now is the perfect time to create new goals or revisit your old ones to modify them. You may have created goals last year that you didn’t accomplish, but that doesn’t mean throw them away. Roll them over to the new year and use the fresh start to get you motivated again. Get creative and design a vision board, put your goals on your screensaver or fridge so you are constantly reminded of your goals.

Let this year be one of your best years yet. Go into the new year with a fresh mindset. Don’t let doubt or fear of what happened in the past, keep you living in the past. Get organized, on your feet and ready to accomplish everything you set your mind to!

Photo by Eli DeFaria on Unsplash

Taylor Williams is a junior public relations major at Ball State University. She is an Account Director for Cardinal Communications who enjoys reading and writing. In her free time she loves to watch movies, hang out with friends and travel.

16 Comments

1. Amanda Robinson

January 22, 2018 at 10:02 am

I love this! Clean out the old and in with the new! This is the year of being true and being you!

• Tanya Williams

January 22, 2018 at 10:05 am

Very good advise to start the New Year!

2. Jayna Moore

January 23, 2018 at 12:46 am

Hand claps all the way around! šŸ‘šŸ¼ I totally agree and am so proud of you Taylor! Keep up the fantastic hard work!!! You’re a great role model!!

3. Lyndell Williams

January 23, 2018 at 3:02 pm

Very wise, I am going to try this each day of this new year.

4. Annie Gates

January 23, 2018 at 5:15 pm

I have a fast pace lifestyle and your article has inspired me to consider a clean slate. I will take the time to focus on organizing and setting goals for a more productive year.  I am very proud of you and your accomplishments. You will be awesome in Public Relations. I love your article!!

5. Marilyn Johnston

January 23, 2018 at 8:00 pm

Very good advice Taylor,you have just put me on a great path,I will take your advice and move forward this year and keep my mind on a better me and a great year.thank you.love you.

6. Catherine Tatum

January 24, 2018 at 1:56 pm

I love your article we too often get stuck in the past. Thanks for the tips on organization really need that one….great job!!!!

7. Sherry Dixon

January 24, 2018 at 4:26 pm

This article is very inspiring.

Well done Taylor!

8. Sue Douglass

January 24, 2018 at 4:37 pm

Great article and good advice Taylor!!  We have to remember that we can't accomplish everything immediately.   Sometimes we tend to make the same resolutions every January, and try to get them all done as soon as possible because we didn't reach our goal last year.  We forget that some may take longer to accomplish than others but if we continue to work on throughout the year, we just might get more done.  If we make five resolutions and only get one completed, it's better than not getting any of the five completed!

9. Linda Canull

January 25, 2018 at 7:42 am

Excellent article.  So introspective.  Never give up.  Start out fresh and don't hold on to the past.  Sometimes you forget to do that .

10. Deborah Stuck

January 25, 2018 at 8:05 am

This article has inspired me to make 2018 and forward the best it can be !!!!

GREAT ARTICLE TAYLOR !!!!

11. Dana Peterson

January 25, 2018 at 11:22 am

Great Job, Taylor!

12. Tayon Pierson

January 26, 2018 at 8:04 am

I love the section don't dwell!!  For me I look at the past and find my self dwelling in it.  You are so right we can't change the past but I can do something about 2018!!!  Thank you for such a great article.

13. Heidi

January 26, 2018 at 12:20 pm

Wonderful reminders as we start a new year!  It is always good to focus and positives and dismiss the negatives.

14. Denise McWilliams

January 29, 2018 at 11:24 am

This is an amazing article love it so much focus on the positives in life…

15. Carol Swales

February 12, 2018 at 1:43 pm

Well written article with very good points. Definitely hit it on the head in regards to you need to learn from the past and use that as your defining game plan for going forward. Not to dwell but to use that as a directional tool for your future. You would think being an adult I would get the organization part, but I have not yet fully obtained that skill to this day! Albeit, this was another nice reminder that now is a good time to organize away. This article motivated me, I enjoyed it.